About 70% of women/girls in Nigeria live below the poverty line. According to an earlier UNICEF report on the Nigeria situation, the majority of Nigerians are poor with 71 per cent of the population living on less than one dollar a day and 92 per cent on less than two dollars a day.
The Skill-Up Women And Girls (S.W.A.G) Project is an initiative of Royal Youth Networks that seeks to empower ONE Million women and girls with transferable hands-on skills required to make a living as well as grow their capacities to become successful entrepreneurs. It is open to women and girls aged 15-45 years.
The objectives of the project include the following:
1. To encourage entrepreneurship among women and girls
2. To create sustainable wealth and end poverty among women and girls
3. To boost economic growth and development through innovation and creativity
4. To reduce unemployment
We have also included two unique features to the project design:
1. Mentoring sessions for women and girls, to ensure they live purposefully and have a good work-life-family balance.
2. Business coaching sessions, to take them through the basics of running small scale enterprises profitably and how to access startup funds.
Some of the Skill Areas that the project will focus on include the following:
- Ankara Craft
- Cakes/Snacks Making
- Interior Decoration
- Soap/Disinfectants Making
- Zobo/Kunu Drinks Production
- Fashion Design
- Beads Craft
- Musical Instruments Use
The S.W.A.G Project will equally be a platform to further RYN’s campaigns on the importance and benefits of skill acquisition and the creative use of talents and skills for the development of society.